Time spent with a family of critically endangered mountain gorillas is a special experience truly like no other. As Uganda is home to more mountain gorillas than anywhere else in the world, there is perhaps no better place to visit them. In addition to Uganda’s famous apes — the gorillas and chimpanzees — the beautiful and diverse country is home to hundreds of other spectacular animal species including lions, leopards, elephants, zebras, hippos, gazelle, and more. Less visited than other more famous African wildlife destinations, Uganda is a true gem that continues to fly beneath the radar.
Beginning in Kigali (Rwanda), we will drive through the towering Virunga volcanos to Mgahinga National Park located on the border of Uganda, Rwanda, and The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Mgahinga grants only one trekking permit each day which means our group, and accompanying rangers, will be the only people in the forest. After our first trek, we will continue to the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest which is home to more families of mountain gorillas, dozens of other primates, forest elephants, and big cats. Following another extraordinary experience with gorillas, we will change ecosystems as we explore the vast savannah and waterways of Queen Elizabeth National Park which we will explore via our Landrovers and a stunning riverboat trip onto Lake Charles where hundreds of hippos, elephants, and water buffalo come to the shore each day. Our last highlight of the trip is Kibale National Park which is considered one of the best places in the world to see large numbers of chimpanzees. Hiking into the dense tropical rainforest of Kibale, we will spend our final day in Uganda with chimpanzee families and the 18 other primates and 400 bird species who call this extraordinary place their home.
A JOURNEY INTO THE LAND OF MOUNTAIN GORILLAS AND CHIMPANZEES
Throughout our Uganda Workshop we will stay in fantastic eco lodges that have been hand picked and used by Summit on past trips. All of our accommodations are comfortable, charismatic, and are located in wildlife rich environments which offer wonderful opportunities to see and photograph nature during downtime in between visits to the nearby national parks.
January 19-26, 2023
DepositDue upon registration
Deposit holds your spot in the workshop
TuitionFull workshop tuition
Full Tuition due 60 days before the workshop begins
Bundle DiscountDiscount available if paired with the Uganda Workshop
WHAT TO KNOW
- This trip will include steep hikes at high elevations. Mountain gorillas move large distances throughout the day which means our treks to find them could range between 1-3 miles each way. While porters will be available to carry your equipment, you should be comfortable hiking for an entire day.
- Like any African safari, our trip will entail many hours in the car driving between locations and out looking for animals. Our landrovers are perfect for such a journey and include large and comfortable seating in addition to a pop-up roof for watching animals.
- Expect a variety of temperatures ranging from cool mornings and hot afternoons.
- Our safari lodges are charismatic and hand-picked to provide memorable accommodations on this once-in-a-lifetime trip.
- Spouse and companion discounts are available for this workshop! These discounts are for non-photographers who want to share in this amazing experience with you. Please contact us for more information.
Topics We Will Cover
2023 WORKSHOP INSTRUCTORS
Did we mention all-inclusive?
Costs included in tuition:
- Airport-hotel pick up/drop off shuttle
- Transport in customized pop up top 4 x 4 Land Cruisers (3 rows of seats) with 4 passengers per vehicle
- Services of experienced English speaking safari guides/drivers.
- All accommodation in Rwanda and Uganda
- Park entrance fees
- Bottled drinking water in safari vehicle
- Tips for guides, drivers, and hotel staff
- Soft drinks and alcohol
- International Flights
- Travel Insurance
- Single Room Supplement